I may have spoken too soon.

I put a call in this morning to the caretaker of the small hunting camp that kindly let us store our boats during the last few windy days.  He had offered to give us a lift back over the levee and through the floodplain in his jeep, thus sparing the undercarriage of my friends’ VW Golf.  His road report suggested we wait until tomorrow.

An excerpt from our conversation.

Me:  So, think we can get in today? Caretaker:  Well.  Rain quit this mornin’ bout 4.  But, it’s shitty.   Me: Shitty? Caretaker:  Yeah.  It’s a mud pit back here.  Shitty, shitty.   Me:  Shitty, shitty? Caretaker: Shitty, shitty.

So the river waits another day.  And today we rest, read, and cook a little more.


About banksofthebasin

Brett grew up in South Jersey, moved to the coast of Maine to study human ecology, and then spent a year traveling on rivers around the world—from the frozen arctic to the mangroves of south Asia. Before setting out on Banks of the Basin he baked bread in Pittsburgh and kayaked the beautiful rivers of central Appalachia.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s